View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MsPINKAcres
Living in a Pinkful Place

((rlynnh))

Welcome to our SR family.

Congratulations on being 4 months pregnant - what a wonderful blessing.

I have a couple of alcoholics/addicts in my life - what I have learned thru these many, many years is (as strange as it may sound) the best thing that I can do for them is nothing for them and lots of stuff for me.

By stuff for me - I mean attending al-anon meetings, posting here at SR, working with a sponsor, reading recovery literature and setting healthy boundaries. I work on always having a Plan B - extra hidden cash, my own vehicle, exit strategy, a couple of friends I could call 24/7 that I can stay at their house if I need a safe place.

By nothing for them - I mean no lies to cover their drinking or using, no covering their money problems, no denial of the problem, no putting their needs or wants before my needs.

This of course is a work in progress - continually I work toward maintaining this healthy relationship with the people that I love that suffer from this disease - it's not easy - but I know I am worth it. I deserve this wonderful thing called recovery and rlynnh, please know that you do too.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita