View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
brighthope

Originally Posted by QU31 View Post

Now I see there isn't much difference between the alcoholism and the mental illness in terms of Al Anon principles and the steps. I am powerless over his illness. For some reason, that was SOOO much harder to come to terms with than being powerless over alcohol. But, finally I was able to do it.
This is something I have been struggling with - I use what I have learned in Alanon to help me keep my serenity around my daughter's drinking, but it is very hard when it comes to her mental illness.

Sometimes when people are sick, they need help and care and medical attention.

If I was suffering from Alzheimers and wandering around disoriented on the street, I would hope and pray that a friend or family member would take care of me, and not coldly turn their back. What is the difference between that and the fact that my daughter is pychotic and paranoid? Is it wrong for me to try to fight for her right to obtain medical care, even though she insists she is perfectly OK?

It's weird, whenever I "meddle" lately in trying to get help for my daughter, I usually get a bad feeling - my gut intuition is telling me not to meddle, but my head and heart cannot help it.

I really appreciate all the feedback - it helps so much to chat with people who have experience in these matters - it helps me to think clearly and look at all the options.