View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

I hear you, Bright hope....
and I honestly understand.
My son is a heroin addict who is also bipolar.
So, I do understand what your saying when you say that you wouldn't walk past someone with a broken leg; and that she is not getting help because her mind is broken and she doesn't think she needs help. I honestly do...

And we still can't do anything, in the USA, unless they are a danger to themselves or to others. Now, it's the definition of "a danger to themselves" that is key here in the US, I've discovered. In Mass, it's a much different definition than in RI, where I live! And I've been trying to get my state legislators to change things here for years! And to get the doctors in RI to treat both problems together, as is necessary for effective treatment, like they do in Mass. It's like beating my head against a stone wall. To add insult to injury, RI won't let my son go to the next state, (Literally five minutes away from home), to get treatment that works! Yes, the judge in RI actually took him OUT of a rehab in Mass -- simply because it wasn't RI! :nono:

The politics of drug addiction are sickening!

So, please know that I hear you, and understand your pain.
I hope you find an answer in whatever country you are in. If you share that information with us, there may be others who know something that can help you. SR has members from all over the world!
Please let us know how it goes.

I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. Please be sure to continue to do so... :>)

Shalom!