Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Bella it sounds to me like you may be stuck in the very beginning of recovery, you want recovery but you have not progressed beyond wanting it.

I'm talking to my therapist about this, and he thinks I may need to seek some sort of treatment (OP) because I never did, I just stopped. But I'm racked with guilt. I feel like going to A.A. or a sobriety group or anything else would disappoint my loved ones who have witnessed my sobriety for six years.
Bella what are you paying your therapist for if you are not going to at least try what your therapist suggest?

Except for not drinking what have you done to proceed in your recovery?

I like your therapist, I am willing to bet your therapist is not a recovering alcoholic or addict and is knowledgeable enough to know that the best therapy for an alcoholic or drug addict is participation in either AA/NA or similar programs of recovery.

One thing very important in regards to recovery is that you want to recover for your self and not for some one else, I can attest to that one, I did not quit drinking nor start working towards recovery until I wanted it. My entire family begged, pleaded, and threatened me for years and I would try and quit for them but always failed, it was not until I wanted to stop drinking and begin recovery that I was able to stay stopped and start recovering.

Do YOU want to go back to where YOU were when you were drinking?

If the answer to the above is no then YOU need to ask your self do I want to continue to live the way I am now or do I want to do as my therapist suggest and enter into a recovery program?

Would your loved ones prefer you to be the way you are now, drinking, or happier then you are now?

I know that my loved ones hated me when I was white knuckling sobriety, my wife told me several times that as much as she hated me drinking, she prefered me drunk then the A-hole I became when I was white knuckling sobriety!

All of my loved ones love me in recovery, they like the new me and I do to. I owe my recovery to the program of AA.

If you decide you want recovery then why not follow the advice of the person you are paying for it and do AA or some other recovery program?