Old 10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
kelsh

Morning drinks....

I got to the point of morning drinks and all day drinking on the weekends. On Friday I would be drunk before my husband got home from work because I got off early. I would get so mad on Saturday or Sunday mornings when one beer or drink would make me drunk and would have to go back to bed to sober up some so I could drink some more......Crazy....Crazy...Behavior.

When I went for help I was diagnosed as a beginning late stage alcoholic. I drank every day of the week so I never was completely free of alcohol...it reeked from my skin...I was told later. I was admitted by the director of the alcohol program on a Friday night, to the local hospital for detox. The doctor on call became my doc, several nurses shared their story of drugs & alcohol....before I left the hospital in six days....I counted 15 people that had already helped me.

The rest was up to me. I was asked to pick three AA Meetings a week to attend to see which would work best for me....I went to my first meeting the evening I got out of the hospital. I attended AA every day for one solid year and followed through with in-patient treatment & counseling for my Chronic Depression, from years gone by, at the same time. This was in 1988. I am still sober and I still take meds for my Chronic Depression. I am one of the lucky ones! I wanted sobriety more than anything else in my life and I was willing to go to any lengths to get it. I could not have done this alone...all the years I have been in AA has helped me through the ups and downs. The Serenity Prayer was my Salvation when I was able to understand the Wisdom of it. My Experience, Strength, & Hope has enabled me to help others find their way down the winding road.

kelsh