View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fluttering

Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Apologies if this has been asked or if it should be a common sense answer.

I don't want to bother my sponsor as I'm sure she has many things she needs to be doing, but know I should probably give her a call.

Any suggestions on how frequency of communication with sponsors / sponsees usually goes?
i too had a great deal of difficulty asking soemone for help...However, in early recovery frequent contact is extremely importatn. Even if it is just to check in.. For thsoe of us that have difficulty it is an importatn practice...so that when the tough stuff comes we know who to call to get the support we need. Also the frequent contact helps to develop the bond that is vital...One that allows you to get to know that person and that person gets to know you.. That bond was vital, for me...in that thee was someone that really got to know me well enough to call me on my stuff and pull the covers when denial and rationalization crept in.
Lastly...your calls is allowing someone else to be of service...and often times it helps them much more than it may help you...I didn't understand that at first but now with many 24 hours behind me...I have coem to realize and understand just how true that really is..
The gals I sponsor do help me and teach me so much more than I think I am able to do for them..
For the first 6o days my sponsor asked me to call daily...even if it was just to leave a message to say I was ok. it really is between you and the sponsor...ask the sposnor what they think would be best. WE alos got together once each wekk to work the steps...more often if there weas something going on that was a real struggle