View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
pedagogue

Originally Posted by QU31 View Post
I have been on several antidepressants and every time, without fail, there is a period of "getting used" to them about one week into it that is almost unbearable--terrible anxiety, crying for long periods of time, insomnia....generally, just feeling totally crazy and awful. This has lasted anywhere from one to two weeks. Each time I want to quit, and have on a few occasions, because I couldn't stand it. But usually, if I just hang in there, those awful feelings go away. Another thing that helps A LOT is if your doctor can give you like two weeks worth of a benzo (ativan or klonopin have worked for me) and this takes the edge off and helps with the anxiety and insomnia.
A cross taper can work well with a Benzo + SSRI. There are certain benzos that are probably preferable because of dependancy issues, though each prescriber has their preferences. At a few weeks, it probably isnt' that bad, but people who stay on for months on end....they are most likely in for a world of hurt if they try and stop too quickly.

-p