View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
shutterbug
A picture's worth a 1000 words

just remember...seeing a pdoc for depression is no different than seeing a dentist for a toothache.

QU31... i've yet to read any data from studies (or even from doctors or patients relaying their own opionins) about suicide becoming a greater risk for some who are just starting on anti-d's. it is simply not true. And such a statement can scare people into not seeking proper treatment for their depressions....especially if they are already dealing with suicidal thoughts and issues.

i know of NO anti-d that makes a person become more suicidal. period.

Is it possible that the info read was talking about anti-depressants pushing some into states of mania??? If an undiagnosed (or diagnosed) bipolar is placed on significant doses of anti-d's without the presence of a mood stabalizer then a drug-induced mania can occur. Even so...that is not as common as people realize.

Also.....the thing i worry about with things like the benzos is that not everyone has severe anxiety issues to need scripts like xanax, but people looking for quick fixes or clutching for anything that will possible help them right now....may think that if they are having ANY kind of discomforts from starting an anti-depressant then they should ask for a benzo script. Plus, as nandm pointed out, some anti-d's cause anxiety in those taking them. Rather than add a second med to 'fix' the first...it'd be much better to find just 1 med that works without the axiety side affects. Agree?

i live in a state where docs hand them out like candy. my aunt died a pre-mature death from RX addiction and among her favorites was the zanax. She left behind 2 young daughters...one with no father either.

Benzo's ...should be the exception...not the rule.

Sorry to disagree.

nandm....welcome to SR and to the mental health forum. quick mention tho that PTSD is a completely seperate illness than bipolar disorder. i say this because so many people come here to learn...A person can have 'bipolar I with psychotic features' or 'bipolar II with rapid cycling'. i just want those who read this to know that PTSD is not a feature of bipolar disorder, but seperate disorder. i'm sure that's what you meant....i just wanted to make sure no one got confused.

Guys i really am sorry for disagreeing so much...for some reason i just felt a need to say something.

hugs,
jenna