View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
chip

Hi Ruch,
I will only comment on my life as I don't feel qualified to give you advice on this matter.

As an alcoholic myself, I've often worried about passing it on to my kids. Getting sober and living in recovery is important to me for many reasons. One of those reasons is to do a good job as a father. By the grace of God, I hope my children never see me drink again.

For me, it goes back to the serenity prayer. I can't change hereditary factors, but I can have a good measure of control over my behaviour. At the end of the day, I must accept that I cannot play "god", and what will be shall be. I really don't have any control over my children's pre-disposition to alcoholism. I can stay away from the first drink, and not expose my children to MY active alcoholism.

The best I can do for my kids is to stay sober for me. Another thing I can do is not create an enviornment where the kids will want to "rebel" in an extreme fashion.

I am thankful to be a father, and my children are a precious gift. I hope raising them well will help them prepare for their lives outside the home when they grow up.
chip