View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hevyn
Community Greeter

Khiggs, beer is my poison of choice also. Though I am not sober I have "detoxed" off it dozens of times. I used a strong non-aspirin to help the shakey feeling, and I think it helped, but who knows? Probably not recommended because it could hurt your already damaged stomach. I was told by my doctor that I should never have tried to detox without medication since I could have had a seizure, heart attack or stroke. I guess it depends on how much you've been drinking and for how long. I always was so miserable when I tried to get off it - it would take about 2-3 days and I would perspire heavily and even sometimes vomit, because my body was saying, "Hey, what happened-where's my stuff?" I'd stay away from caffeine or sweets, it just jangles your nerves more. Walking and keeping busy is good, but of course you won't feel like it! It is just a miserable and alone feeling - I guess that's why AA meetings are suggested. Try to remember how awful it felt getting off it and you might not pick it up again. Bless you.