View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bval

i have to admit a certain ignorance when it comes to benzos ... SLEEPINESS was never really my 'thing'. But I do know a few things about them ... Like, for example, people DIE getting off of them. I *doubt* that would happen to someone taking 2-3 mgs a day. Now, I realize thats a hefty dose when it comes to xanies, but ... they MAKE 2mg bars, I've had them before, with basically zero benzo tolerance, sure, it laid my ass OUT for like 24 hours, but ... if it didn't kill me, it really can't be THAT much to try to come off of. Painful? Absolutely. I'm certain it is. But I don't think you'll croak coming off that dose. That being said ... PROBABLY the reason Klonopin is being given would be the same principle as why Methadone/Bupe are given to wean people down ... the long half-life means less pill-taking, less up-down, better chance to live a normal life while weaning down. Doesn't mean it's going to be easier to get off of, though, unless you SUCCESSFULLY wean WAY down before quitting. And even then, it is likely to be a LONGER, but LESS SEVERE detox when quitting from a low level of a long half-life form of benzo (I'm assuming it works the same as with opiates ... although, to be fair, I quit off of Bupe, not Methadone, and it may be that Klonopin is more equivalent to Methadone ... which is, of course, a major major bi*ch to come off of, from what I hear...)

I dunno. Sounds to me like in-patient detox may be the way for both of you, but if you CAN successfully wean (HINT: HAVE SOMEONE DIVVY YOUR PILLS OUT TO YOU ACCORDING TO A SCHEDULE ... seems pretty obvious to someone who's done it, but ...) down for awhile first ... your time spent in detox should be considerably less hellish. But DON'T let yourself f**k your weaning schedule up even ONCE, or consign yourself to checking in immediately. Have family hold you accountable to this, so that you can stay on track. ALL IT TAKES is ONE f**kup of your weaning schedule to be back at SQUARE ONE so get all the help to manage it that you can.

Btw, THIS SHOULD BE TWO SEPARATE THREADS, folks ... let's try to get both people all the support they need ...