Old 06-10-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Light

Question My children's father is a functional alcoholic and may be endangering our children

I've been divorced from my ex-husband for 5 years, since then, we've been in this custody battle of our 6 years old twins. I'm not against having my children be in contact with their father, I know they need both of us, but the problem is that he is a heavy drinker, when we were married he used to drink as soon as he came from work, and did not stop until he went to bed, (never before midnight). It was like that the 11 years I was living with him, and he said he started drinking when he was 15, he is 50 now. He went to see a couple of psychiatrist before for his alcohol problem, but he never stayed for the alcohol treatment, always found an excuse for not continuing. We went to a few marriage counselours, and they all told us, if he doesn't take care of his alcohol problem, no matter how many times we go for counseling, it will never work. Obviously it happened exactly like that, we got divorce when our children just turned 1 year. The problem is, I can't prove to the court he has alcohol problems, since the only DUI he has it's over 15 years old; and so far....."he has not killed anybody". In the meantime, I only have to pray everytime my children are with their father overnight (1st, 3rd & 5th weekend of each month). Eventhough the Court ordered him not to drink in front of the children, he still does it. When my children were little, they used to say daddy drinks apple juice like them, but he put ice. Now, they're 6, so that apple juice is "whiskey" now, dad drinks whiskey, and then he drives, but he doesn't get involved into any accident because he wears glasses, that's what he tells them. I'm completaly scared, I notice he's been having little blackouts here and there, like forgetting things, when we go to court, the judge has to repeat things more than once. It's embarrassing but most of it it's completally dangeours, not only for himself, but worstly for our children. I don't know what to do, we will be going to court again in about a week, since he's been asking for more time with the children, that way he won't have to pay child support. I feel really frustrated, I feel like my hands are tied, and I can't protect my children, I have called the police on him a couple of times, and all they said is, he doesn't look drunk, he never look like drunk, but I knew he was. I don't know what to do, I'm scared.