View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
woops

For me............

Taking opiates gave me "the munchies" - always ate more when abusing the pills.
Put on about 12 kilos (26 lbs) in the space of a year - glad to say I got rid of the weight now. (often during heavy use I was sick - physically sick - would vomit - and then seek sugary carbos - crazy?)
But I definitely experienced a sort of sugar addiction - and would crave carbohydrates and especially those foods with lots of sugar. This all became much worse following cessation.............. so that when I quit opiates my sugar cravings increased quite dramatically and I was very aware that I was eating way too much and eating quite the wrong sorts of foods.
Glad to say that I was lucky enough to recognize what was happening - and got sensible. Exercise helped tremendously (play golf and walk in the hills) - so as I got fitter and well, I started to eat loads of really fresh fruits and vegetables.............. lots of fresh fish lightly grilled with herbs and lemon, snacked on fruit and nuts.............. lots of yoghurt instead of cakes/biscuits..........and of course - no alcohol. Just love my smoothies. Put a ton of ice into my liquidiser - add lots of fruit of every variety depending on the season........... and hey presto! Voila!
Am doing a half marathon in July - and so looking forward to doing it. Just the fact of being able to run it..................... never fails to give me such a feeling of satisfaction - and I dont care if I come last!!
woops