Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
5Stars

No... and from my experience (as co-dependant/enabler) I was never able to sit back and be comfortable in the situation. My worry/fear/anger always kept me on pins and needles. I would be counting the beers for him, listening carefully to his speech, watching closely how he walked, making sure he was keeping it in "moderation"
It wasn't fun. Not for me or for him.

Yes a few times he was able to stop while there was still alcohol in the house (a big accomplishment, really) But those time were few and far between. And like another poster stated a downward spiral will soon follow.

Believe me, we have tried several times. Only on the weekends, only on holidays, just two days a week (no matter what day).
We also tried limiting the number of drinks consumed. Just four beers a night, one time it was six beers at functions. It NEVER worked... Like I said a few times he "proved" to me that he could "control" it, but I think he just actually did it those few times as a form of manipulation to get alcohol back in the house again because it had been banned.
And actually attempting to control or manage it made things ten times worse because he would sneak it!!! Then he would 1) lie about how much he consumed 2) lie about how much he bought 3) drink in the car or outside the store (a 32 to kick things off and then the four or six he would get at home) ugh ..the list can go on and on...