Old 05-20-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nocellphone
Cruelty-Free

Alcoholism is a disease of denial, sad, and it sounds like that's where she is right now. I've been told that alcoholism is the only disease that tells you you don't have a disease. I've also been told that the alcoholic brain doesn't know the difference between a little and a lot of alcohol, and doesn't care whether it's the weekend, a day off, Good Friday, Yom Kippur, St. Patrick's Day (ok, well maybe not that last one ), in the living room, on a boat, in a bottle, in a glass, someone's looking, no one's looking, etc. and so on. All it knows is that it's being fed alcohol and that it wants MORE... NOW. Cravings can be overwhelming---just ask any alcoholic. It's really all chemistry when you get right down to it.

In Al-Anon (a wonderful resource for people who love and care about alcoholics), I learned that my thinking becomes distorted by trying to force solutions. I believe this to be the same for the alcoholic. Recovery is a solution that doesn't have to be forced. Rather, it needs to be embraced in order to be effective.

Of course, I've also learned that the alcoholic is gonna do what the alcoholic is gonna do, no matter how loudly, subtly, clearly or repeatedly I offer suggestions and information. I need to make sure that I don't get between an alcoholic and his/her "bottom". If I do that, they'll land on me and I'll end up crushed...

I wonder if the "recovering" alcoholic in question is in a 12-Step program and, if she is, whether she's run this new idea past her sponsor or support group, or shared about it in a meeting.

Here's a link to find an Al-Anon meeting, if you're interested:

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/meetings/meeting.html