View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DaVinci2

Not looking to blaze any trail...

Maybe I'm reading the posts wrong. If the posts above are saying "No alcohol at all regardless of the circumstances." Then I will not be drinking any alcohol in any amount for as long as I'm on Paxil, and beyond if that's what's needed.

Perhaps I should've rephrased it in a way that sounds more like this:

While on Paxil, will drinking any amount, be it a mouthful of wine to a few beers, cause adverse reactions that would otherwise not be seen while off Paxil. I won't argue that drinking alcohol is unhealthy, but in combination with Paxil, is it far more dangerous? What happens? Does the alcohol react with Paxil in such a way that it will threaten ones life, or ability to recover, even in amounts (A sip of wine) some would consider meaningless (And if it is those small amounts that can be bad, they are then NOT meaningless.).

I'm not looking for a reason to drink. I drink at social occasions or when I'm in a situation where it's considered rude not to accept it. A little understanding that I live in a culture where it's just not right to not be able to drink with customers and bosses. If this were not part of the culture here, I wouldn't need to ask this, I could just tell my co-workers/boss, I'm taking meds that prevent me from drinking at all, sorry. My bosses or customers find out I'm on Paxil, then I get shuffled into my own little category of being the 'mentally unstable' one.

The reason for my rephrasing of the post is because I feel that people are assuming that I'm looking to going out and getting wasted. I'm not. I drink on rare occasions. I still drink though. Knowing that tylenol mixed with alcohol in even small amounts, can cause liver damage, and therefore I come up with excuses not to join a business meeting where there will be alcohol. This is easier since I don't take tylenol everyday. However, avoiding meetings with bosses and customers for months will be something I need to plan ahead for and think about. In America it might be easier for everyone to accept "Sorry, gave up drinking." Not in Japan. Perhaps it's not a culture you understand unless you've lived here as long as I have, but that's what the culture is.

No alcohol is better, I don't doubt that. Is no alcohol a MUST when on Paxil, for reasons of safety (And by no alcohol I'm not talking about going out to the clubs and getting smashed on shots of whatever, but even a glass of something)? I don't know. Perhaps I'm reading the posts wrong. Can someone give me a STRAIGHT answer:

1. If you drink while on Paxil, it will cause damage to you that you would not see if not on Paxil. If you drink, you have to stop, regardless of the amounts, to avoid these adverse reactions.

2. Alcohol and (Insert other substances, including vitamines and food) should be avoided. In moderate amounts, you will not see adverse reactions, but it should still be avoided in order to recover from your illness.

3. Alcohol is bad, with or without Paxil. However, it's not made any worse being on Paxil.