Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
shonk52

This is for Midas. You're right about the medical arrest being essentially an intervention with the police present, but in the City where we live, my son has been in jail so many times, and they have done such stupid things when he was there, even though I had pretty much drawn them a picture of his medical issues. This summer he was there in jail once for DWI and possession of paraphanalia, which was fine that he was in jail, but I had told them that when his blood sugars get low, he gets really hostile. But every time he'd have an insulin reaction, they'd throw him in solitary confinement, thinking he was being incorrigible, or whatever. The next time, he had broken his wrist the day before he was arrested, and they'd cut the cast off during the search looking for drugs in the cast, and 3 days later they still hadn't had it recasted. I finally went to the Mayor's office and refused to leave until they took him to a doctor to have it recasted. After 15 yrs. of incidents like this with law enforcement, I hate to call the police, because he needs to be in treatment, not incarcerated. If they went over there with me, wouldn't they search for drugs and arrest him rather than help me get him to treatment? Please don't think I'm defending him---I'm not. If they would make sure to give him his insulin, food, etc when he needs it, not by the jail's schedule, I would almost be relieved to have him in jail, where he didn't at least have access to the drugs/alcohol. Does that make any sense? I get a little long-winded, I know. I realize if his friends are even becoming fearful of him because of his erratic behavior, I may have to say some prayers and get the police involved, and hope that if the drugs don't kill him, they won't.