Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shonk52

Looking for information on involuntary commitment

Hi! I'm new, so bear with me. I would appreciate any help on how succesful involuntary commitment is. My 33 yr old son is a juvenile diabetic (for 23 yrs). For the last 15 years, I don't see him often unless he's in a crisis situation, and needs money. I always thought his problems were due to insulin reactions, but have found out he's run the gambit of alcohol, marijuana, crack, cocaine, meth, and assorted prescription drugs. I've noticed a huge change in him when I've seen him lately. This last week he'd come over at 2 a.m., or call, and was convinced people were in his house, the swat team was surrounding his home etc. I talked to one of his friends today, and he said none of them are hanging with him anymore, as he is bizarre and downright scary. He's been in treatment, court ordered outpatient, many times over the past 15 yrs, but think's it's a joke. To my knowlege, in addition to being a severe diabetic, he is currently a severe alcoholic, shooting up meth, taking Xanax, Lexapro, and Seroquel, and smoking marijuana. I tried to talk to him last Saturday, and begged him to go with me to a local treatment. He told me "f" me, he didn't need treatment, etc. I told him if he didn't go with me that day, he could no longer call or come over. He said that was fine. He's lost so much weight, doesn't eat, looks like death. His friends say he gets violent, breaks out peoples windows with bats (good friends of his), was going to shoot a good friend (they sent him to detox, and that's all), and is so bizarre the last few months, he's scaring everyone. What can I do? What if he harms someone, or overdoses, or goes into a coma from his diabetes? What would you do? Shonk52